There are plenty of things to do in the Eden Valley. Here are some of the towns and attractions that take up to about 30 mins to reach by car....
- The nearest town is Appleby-in-Westmorland, which is 10-15 minutes away by car and sits on the banks of the River Eden. A pretty little town with galleries, gift shops, tea shops, and other services such as a Tourist Information Office, swimming pool at the Appleby Leisure Centre, and Appleby Golf Club. Also the closest place for supplies with two small supermarkets, bakeries, butchers, greengrocers, deli, petrol station, several take-aways and eat-in restaurants and pubs.
- Other towns nearby include Kirkby Stephen (15-20 mins away) and the larger town of Penrith (25-30 mins). At Penrith you will find several large supermarkets (Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Booths), high street stores and a cinema. Also the Penrith and Eden Museum and a large leisure centre with climbing wall and skate park.
- There are several castles to explore in the Eden Valley, in various states of ruin. Look out for Brough Castle, Lowther Castle, and Brougham Castle.
- If you like to hunt out local produce then check out Kennedys Fine Chocolates in the nearby village of Orton, Bessy Beck Trout Farm and Smokehouse at Newbiggin-on-Lune (you can even catch your own!), and Abbott Lodge Jersey Ice Cream from a working dairy farm at Clifton.
- For animal lovers you can visit the Wetheriggs Zoo and Animal Sanctuary at Clifton Dykes, or go horse riding at Leacett Cottage Riding Stables at Melkinthorpe, or book an experience day at Silverband Falconry at Kirkby Thore.
All these locations are shown on on our local area map along with links to the websites for all those attractions mentioned.